Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 10 - Michael Kilgallon - Course Reflection

When I came into this course ten weeks ago, I had a very vague definition of what an intelligent building was.  Originally, I just assumed it was a building that was able to monitor the activity that was going on inside and around it.  This assumption wasn't wrong, but the facts that I learned throughout the term regarding intelligent buildings were more complex than I could have imagined. 

It was really interesting to see how sensors, databases, networks, and even robots could come into play when discussing future buildings.  I had an idea regarding how sensors were used in buildings since they are relatively common currently, such as thermostats or pressure sensors for pipe networks.   However, I didn't realize how these sensors could be incorporated with networks and databases to create a “living” building.  The way these sensors could gather data, store it in a database, and have a network communicate that data to different areas of the building really is a revolutionary concept for building design.  This intercommunication between sensors and different parts of the building will allow for more LEED certifications as theses systems reduce emissions and make buildings much more energy efficient.

As these technologies begin to work with each other more and more in the future, the structures that they are incorporated with will start to simulate a “living, breathing” being.  This sounds very science fiction, but it isn't too far-fetched when you think about it.  The building would, in essence, emulate the way the human body maintains itself with the database being the brain, the sensors being the nerve endings, and the network being the whole nervous system that connects all parts of the “body” together. 


Regarding the effect this course will have on my future and my future profession, I would say this course has helped in introducing me to the whole concept of intelligent buildings.  As I stated before, I had an idea about how sensors were incorporated in to buildings, but I never knew the extent to which there were implemented.  After taking this course, I have learned that these improvements to existing buildings and to future building designs will be at the forefront of design once they become economically beneficial for owners and investors.  Additionally, learning about the benefits of these advancements is also very valuable to my future profession because it will allow me to see if any of these pieces of technology are useful and worthwhile to implement in building when going over the building design.  It will give me, and even my employer, a leg up over the competition when it comes to this type of advancement in intelligent buildings.  


Comments:

Phil: I do agree with you statement that you were afraid that this class would not be beneficial to you.  I was on the same boat at first because I was unsure what the whole outcome of the class would actually be.

Steve: Like you, that Revit project we had to do was very beneficial for me because I always wanted to use Revit again after the project way back in sophomore year.  This project was a great learning experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment