Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Course Reflection

I have thoroughly enjoyed the AE 510, Intelligent Buildings, class this term!  Going into this class I was excited to learn more about what intelligent systems are going into our buildings today.  I thought that we would focus in on Building Automation Systems and other sensor technologies.  While we did cover these we covered so much more as well.   I also found it interesting how we weren’t necessarily covering what currently exists but  more what does the future hold for the built environment through the use of BIM, sensors, building techniques, databases, and robotics.  This goes along with the notion that the technology you buy today is already outdated tomorrow.  Some of the future technologies like 3D printing and robotics I had never really given great thought, but after this class I do see actual potential for these technologies in my lifetime.

Now with all these cool tools and future technologies we discussed what does it mean for me and my career?  Well I have always been a believer that if you aren’t learning and exploring new possibilities than you may as well be dead.  While this may sound rather harsh it is true in today’s society.  There are new technologies and new ways of using old technology coming about everyday and it is important for us as engineers to stay up on this information and pushing the bounds on the projects we are working on with these technologies.  We can never settle for the norm or standard if we wish to continue moving society forward.  Additionally if you become stagnant in your thinking and creativity as an engineer you lose value to you company and potentially jeopardize your career.  This class was perfect for those who wish to continue to learn and push the boundaries.  While on many of the topics we just covered the tip of the iceberg it has given us some information to dive into further detail on these systems.  This springboard in a sense can help spring us forward in our careers and schooling.  Especially today with the great wealth of technology on the internet it is sometimes hard to know where to start or what questions are worth asking and this class helped me at least with this problem.  I would recommend this class to any of my fellow younger classmates as I gained a lot from this class.

Comments:


HAHA.  Andrew it was fun reading your blog post as you are quite the poet.  I would have liked to hear how you thought this class pertained to your future career, but I am glad to hear you liked the class, or at least that’s what I think I got from it.


Ian I shared the initial perspective on the class with you.  I am glad though how we learned so much more and I agree the speakers were a great addition to the class.  It will be interesting to see how this impacts us in our careers and in the future.



Weiyang I agree pretty much with everything you said.  I think this class was a great overview of the technologies out there and has added to my knowledge of software like access and Revit.  I too did not like the blog post at first but after doing them I did realize just how much I was learning from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment