Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Week 10 - AE 510 Reflection

I didn’t really know what to expect going into this course, but it sounded interesting and, like all Mitchell classes, enlightening to an aspect of buildings that I wouldn’t otherwise be exposed to.  I can honestly say that I enjoyed the class and learned a great deal. 

Over my past two co-ops, I dealt a lot with sensors/monitoring equipment, building programs, and networks/databases (specifically relating to sensors).  So right away, I could see the professional applications of the information we were researching and discussing during class. I think one thing I learned that really stuck with me is the application of sensors and their dependency on databases and networks.  Knowing how a database functions and stores/relates information is very useful when deciding what sensors to install in a building, how many, and what the information those sensors are recording is going to be used for.  I have always been very interested in emerging technologies, however, this class showed me how much of that technology is being incorporated into buildings in various ways.  

My favorite portion of the class was having the employees form software companies come to speak to the class.  Working for a software company is something I would like to do at some point in my career, and it was nice to hear form various levels of employees from the top engineering software companies. 

Comments:


 


No comments:

Post a Comment