Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Course Reflection: Final Post


In order to write this final blog post and effectively reflect on my journey in the class, I read all my previous entries. Honestly. I’m amazed by the progress I have made from my first posts. At the beginning of the term I did not know anything about “Intelligent Buildings” or databases. Even the knowledge I thought I had on BIM was very limited. As I’m writing this last post I have a better understanding of BIM processes, as well as their strengths and limitations. I also made a very basic database that helped me have a better understanding of the roles they play in our field. I made a lot of progress as an architectural engineer, and Professor Mitchel helped me look toward the future of the field.

I really enjoyed the format of the class. The fact that we had to research independently the discussion topics before class, made the lectures easier to understand. I liked the fact that we had to read our classmates posts, this promoted interaction between us and facilitated discussions. It also gave me new perspectives on the discussion topics. Everyone attacked the problem at different angles, and it is always nice to read a point of view you had not considered previously. Another aspect of the class that made it great was the guest lecturer. Like I said before, it is always nice to hear different point of view on the same topic. Professor Mitchell made sure we were exposed to the way things worked in the industry by having speakers from the construction side, the design side, and even the software development side. This kind of experience is invaluable for students about to enter the workforce. It helped me better prepare for interviews or networking events since I knew what employers were looking for.


I really enjoyed my time in class, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend. 


Comments on others posts:

Esther:  Although I did not discuss it in my post, the possibilities that BIM technologies might completely change the way we do things now is quite exciting. I don't know if all the changes will be positive, but I know that I'm definitely anxious to see what will become of our field in the years to come. Actually, I excited to have the opportunity to be part of this change.

Ivan: I also really enjoyed hearing more about the technologies available to us. I had stuck to Revit this whole time, and these presentation showed me a whole new world. I'm hoping to soon be able to use these new software we learned about to make my senior design work a little easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment